Pelican Hill Golf Club (Ocean South) – Played July 2017
- Rankings: Golf Digest Public #68
- Location: 2000 Busted Rock Road, Newport Coast, California
- Year: 2007
- Architect: Tom Fazio
- Course Access: Resort
- Walking Rules: Carts Available
Score Card Information:
- Black: 6,580 yards, Par 70, 71.9 Rating/134 Slope
- Blue: 6,323 yards, Par 70, 70.5 Rating/131 Slope
- White: 5,929 yards, Par 70, 69.1 Rating/126 Slope (Men’s), 75.5 Rating/137 Slope (Women’s)
- Red: 5,393 yards, Par 70, 66.7 Rating/119 Slope (Men’s), 72.7 Rating/131 Slope (Women’s)
- Yellow: 4,723 yards, Par 70, 64.0 Rating/114 Slope (Men’s), 68.2 Rating/119 Slope (Women’s)
Sometimes in this quest you don’t know when opportunities to play another course on the list will come up. Pelican Hill is a prime example of that. My brother-in-law was getting married in Orange County this past July so my first thought was to take a look at my Top 100 map to see what was close. Of course there are private options in LA, but I stuck to the public tracks as my connections in SoCal are limited.
All of that led me to Pelican Hill, which ended up being about 20 minutes from our hotel. A quick Friday morning round was scheduled around sightseeing, the rehearsal dinner, and the wedding. I ended up getting paired with a really nice guy from New Orleans who had gone to college with some guys I knew in high school. Small world!
Let’s get into some info on this place. The courses here were done by Tom Fazio, but not without some arm twisting. According to the website, Fazio didn’t want to head to California with 6 young kids at home on the East Coast. He also had plenty of work there to keep him busy. Former MLB commissioner Peter Ueberroth brought him out and convinced the family to agree to the project. It was quite a sales job that resulted in 36 holes along the PCH. Fazio seemed to quite enjoy the project as he was provided a great piece of land.
One last thing, the bridge you drive over to get to the first tee is quite special. I’ll let you visit to experience it. All distances are from the blue tees. Continue reading “Pelican Hill Golf Club (Ocean South)”