Forest Dunes Golf Club – Played May 2017
- Rankings: Golf Magazine #72, Golf Digest Public #23, Golf Magazine Public #33
- Location: 6376 Forest Dunes Drive, Roscommon, Michigan
- Year: 2002
- Architects: Tom Weiskopf
- Course Access: Public
- Walking Rules: Carts & Caddies Available
Score Card Information:
- I: 7,116 yards, Par 72, 75.2 Rating/146 Slope
- II: 6,550 yards, Par 72, 72.4 Rating/139 Slope
- Combo II/III: 6,330 yards, Par 72, 71.3 Rating/135 Slope
- III: 5,888 yards, Par 72, 69.2 Rating/127 Slope (Men’s), 74.8 Rating/143 Slope (Women’s)
- IV: 4,993 yards, Par 72, 69.6 Rating/136 Slope
The last stop on my Michigan golf itinerary was the well-respected Forest Dunes. The drive in was quite interesting. I had vaguely remembered reading about the way your GPS would take you in and that there was an alternate route. In my early morning mindset I forgot this information. Which lead me to this…
About six miles out from the course the paved roads stopped. The dirt road was solid and very wide and looked like it was set up for logging trucks or something similar. I kept on going as my tee time was approaching. A few turns the GPS recommended were a little sketchy and I passed. Eventually I made it back to paved road and the course. So let that be a lesson to anyone headed to Forest Dunes, give the shop a call if you want to stay on the asphalt.
I do have some history to share about the course. The course was built on glacial deposits within the Huron National Forest. It was originally completed in 1999, but the lenders ended up foreclosing on it before it ever opened. Two years passed until one of the original investors, The Detroit Carpenters Pension Trust Fund, stepped in to save it. There was plenty of work to do as the course was overgrown after all that time. Eventually the restoration was finished and the course opened with 56 members. It has been described as a combination of Augusta National and Pine Valley.
There are also other activities at the resort along with wonderful accommodations. I recommend checking out all the details at forestdunesgolf.com. Let’s get into the tour.
Continue reading “Forest Dunes Golf Club”